Honestly, for me in my current state this is more of a DIY belly butter than a body butter, but it is fabulous for all skin, not just that which is being pulled as tight as a drum. With just three ingredients it couldn't be easier to make and the results are nothing short of divine. That is, if your definition of divine is slathering your body in a rich moisturizer that is 100% natural and smells like freshly baked cookies. I guess I should warn you: use of this product may cause an uncontrollable cookie craving.
I'm pretty sure I don't have to mention that this would make a wonderful shower gift. Oh, and don't forget to whip some up for mom on Mother's Day. Delicious homemade body butter for all! Now for the recipe.
Homemade Body (Belly) Butter
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (I love the one from Trader Joe's)
- 3/4 cup cocoa butter*
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or jojoba or almond)
- Melt the coconut oil and cocoa butter in a double boiler on the stove or in the microwave.
- Place melted mixture in the refrigerator to cool until slightly solid, about an hour or two.
- Add olive oil and beat with an immersion blender or hand mixer.
- Place in an airtight container and store at room temperature. Note: if it is really hot in your neck of the woods this will get soupy, stick it in the fridge. Alternately, in the winter it is fairly solid but will melt quickly with your own body heat.
- Use liberally to soften skin, naturally.
I hope this super simple recipe inspires you to ditch that bottle of lotion with far too many unpronoucable ingredients, or save big bucks by creating your own natural product.
Here's to sweet smelling super soft skin!
* Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, when you make a purchase after clicking on those links, I make a tiny commission - Thanks!