This easy craft makes a great last minute gift! With just a few affordable supplies and very little time (seriously like ten minutes!) you can create these rad wire and stone rings and pendants. This project would make the perfect Galentine's Day gift! Or if there are any crafty dudes reading, your special lady would totally dig a handmade ring or necklace ... how romantic!
The idea for these pieces came from a trip to the toy store. Am I the only grown-up who loves looking through the loose rocks at the toy store? You can find super cool geodes, quartz, pyrite, and so much more and they usually cost less than 2 bucks!! I really wanted a few of them but I didn't want to bring home something that would simply collect dust. Then it dawned on me, I could wear them!
If you don't dig oversized jewelry these might not be the craft for you, but if you like to rock (pardon he pun) statement pieces every now and then, you've got to give these a try!
To Make Wire and Stone Jewelry You Need:
- Cool stones (Check you're local toy store!)
- Jewelry wire (16 Gauge for the pendant and 20 Gauge for rings)
- Needle nose pliers
Note: this is not a fussy project, feel free to really manhandle the wire and experiment!
How to Make Wire and Stone Pendant:
- Wrap the wire several times around the top of your stone.
- Then create the top loop by bringing the wire over one side, through the wrapped wire and over the other side. Note, at this point your rock might be a sort of loose.
- Once you have successfully wrapped your wire around the second side, cut the end as close to the rock as possible.
- To insure that your stone is nice and secure, use your pliers to pinch the wire around the stone.
- Thread onto a chain and enjoy!!
How to Make a Wire and Stone Ring:
- Wrap the wire around your stone several times creating an X shape in the back.
- Pull the wire under that X and create a loop the size of your finger.
- Loop the wire two or three more times.
- Finish the ring by wrapping thew wire around the ring loops.
- Cut the wire close to the stone and then rock that ring!
Okay know that you've made one (or five) show me your handy work! Tag my on instagram @smallfriendly or post a picture to my Facebook page! I love seeing what you create! If you like making jewelry, be sure to check out these cool leather and chain creations!