I'm pretty sure Jude could happily be read to all day long. He loves to climb into my lap with a big stack of books. And I love it too. Reading stories is one of our favorite pastimes. Unfortunately, I can't read to him all day long. That's were audio books come in. Jude loves his ever growing collection of read aloud books and so do I. They buy this mama a nice little chunk of quiet time, and I've found they make errand running much more pleasant as well. Plus, they carry a pretty hefty dose of nostaligia, even if CD's aren't as cool as little orange records.
1. Frog and Toad Are Friends - A classic read by the author. This one has the fun little chimes when it's time to turn the page. I love these stories, and they really come to life when read aloud.
2. Corduroy - A sweet story with lots of extras. I've always loved the story of Corduroy and so does Jude. His favorites are the bonus bear facts and songs that follow the reading. I find the singing a little comical (lots of vibrato), but Jude digs it so I'm down.
3. Pickles to Pittsburgh - This is the sequel to one of our favorites, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. It's a great story about helping others, and it is very well read.
4. Skippyjon Jones, Lost in Spice - Skippy Jon is another favorite around here, all the more because the hardcover books all come with a CD of the author reading the story. Of all the books in the series, Lost In Spice is a particularly good one.
5. Micawber - What could be better than reading this lovely story? Why, listening to the author, John Lithgow, read it of course! This was another score, the CD comes with the book, and Jude has loved it from a very early age.
Not sure if your little one will be into listening to a CD instead of you? I have found our local library to be an awesome resource for audio books for kids, so try a few out. You might just find the perfect way to grab a few moments of peace, all while strengthening your little one's reading muscles.
Here's to educational quiet.
P.S. - After failing to find a "kid" CD player that seemed worth the money, we just dug out an old walkman, and Jude has been able to work it just fine. Please use caution when mixing kids and cords.
Note: This post contains affiliate links, I earn a tiny commission from purchases made through the links above.