Looking for the best snack ever? Might I suggest stove popped kettle corn? This snack is gluten free, dairy free, dead simple and extra delicious. It is my go-to play date snack and the ideal treat to pack for the pool. There are many kettle corn recipes out there, but this one is extra simple and I've included all my tricks to make perfect kettle corn every time. Slightly sweet, slightly salty, super satisfying, I dare you to make it just once!
Stovetop Homemade Kettle Corn Recipe
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
Note: I use organic products whenever possible, I think they make the kettle corn taste even better!
- large pot with lid *(ideally glass)
- wooden spoon
- pot holders or kitchen towel
- large bowl
- Measure all your ingredients and have your equipment at the ready, this process moves quickly.
- In your pot heat oil and three corn kernels over medium high heat.
- Once the three corns pop add the sugar and the remaining kernels and stir like crazy.
- Place lid on pot and protecting your hands with pot holders or towels, shake the pot back and forth. Every once in a while lift the pot in a quick motion to flip the contents inside.
- Continue moving the pot regularly until you stop hearing pops. If you start to smell even the faintest burning, remove from the heat and shake like crazy with lots of up and down motions.
- Quickly pour the entire contents of the pot into the bowl and immediately pour water into the pot to help with clean up. Note: sometimes I don't wash the pan right away and the little bits of caramel just need a short soak and they will wipe right off so don't stress.
- Toss the popcorn while sprinkling with salt to taste. Continue to toss occasionally until cool.
* Please note this post contains affiliate links, when you make a purchase on Amazon after clicking one of the following links I get a tiny commission, thank you so much!