Okay remember when I promised a free pattern for the micro shorts? Well I finally got around to it, but since it's no longer shorts weather in the northern hemisphere, I decided to make a pattern that can be shorts or leggings! (In case you're wondering, this is were all of my Kids Clothes Week energy went!)
These simple baby pants are the trendy (and super comfy) harem or drop crotch style. I love that they have room for cloth diapers and are just so darn cute! They are also totally unisex! This pattern is just right for my rather large 6 month old (he wears at least a 9 month size in RTW). Since they are stretchy and super easy to make longer or shorter I'm calling this a 6-12 month pattern.
Want to make a pair or five? Keep reading for a free pattern download and full tutorial!
Free Pattern and Tutorial How to Sew Baby Leggings and Shorts
Notes: All seams are 3/8" use a serger or standard sewing machine with a ball point needle and a stretch stitch.
I should also mention that this is the lazy gal's way to attach cuffs/ribbing. If you prefer to do it the "proper" way, feel free!
To Sew Baby Leggings or Shorts You'll Need
- about 1/2 yard of knit fabric with some stretch
- 1/2" elastic
- optional: ribbing for the cuffs (you can just use more of your knit)
- Download Free Baby Leggings and Shorts Pattern
How to Sew Baby Leggings or Shorts
- Download Free Baby Leggings and Shorts Pattern and print. Make sure you have no scaling when you print. Match up the arrows, tape the pattern together, and cut it out.
- Place your pattern on your folded fabric and cut out one piece. Then fold down the pattern on the dotted line that says front and cut another piece (this will be your front piece). Also cut your cuffs according to the pattern.
- With right sides facing, pin your pants together along the outside seems and sew together.
- Fold your cuff material in half lengthwise and iron.
- With right sides facing, pin the raw edge of your cuff to the bottom raw edge of your pants/shorts. Note: with the shorts your cuff will have to be stretched to fit the leg opening, pin in a few places and stretch as you sew.
- Sew the cuffs.
- With right sides facing, pin and sew the inseam of the pants/shorts.
- Fold and iron down 1" along the top edge, toward the inside of the leggings. Pin and sew along the bottom edge to make the waistband casing. Note: be sure to leave a 2" opening in the back for the elastic.
- Cut 17" of elastic (or measure your child's waist and add 1") and thread through the waistband with a safety pin.
- Make sure your elastic isn't twisted, then overlap it about 1" and sew it together next to each raw edge.
- Lastly, tuck the elastic into your waistband, add a tag (optional) and sew the waistband closed.