Chock full of foods that support healthy milk production and oh so delicious, these cookies are a must have for all new moms. That said, they are so tasty and easy to make I would encourage you to make them whether you are nursing or not. Oh, and they take about 10 minutes to make, which is key when you're trying to do as much as possible before it's time to feed that precious bundle again!
I first discovered the joy that is the no bake lactation cookie when my good friend brought me a big batch along with dinner, more treats, and a chance to take a hot shower. Did I say good friend? I meant great! I quickly polished those off and begged for the recipe. Warning: these are addicting!
Chocolate Almond No-Bake Lactation Cookies
(Adapted from Homemade Mothering, this version is equally fabulous)
Yields about 48 cookies
Note: If you want to make these even healthier you could substitute honey or agave for the sugar and coconut oil for the butter. But I say, if you're feeding a growing baby at least eight times a day, treat yourself!
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup crushed raw almonds (sliced almonds crushed in your hand work well)
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed
- 4-6 tablespoons brewer's yeast* (don't skip this: it's super great for milk supply and a mood booster!)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) of butter/coconut oil
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup almond butter (peanut butter works as well)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Line two baking sheets with parchment, wax paper, or silpats*.
- In a large bowl combine oats, almonds, flax, yeast, and cinnamon.
- In a sauce pan combine sugar, butter, milk and cocoa. Bring to a rolling boil and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and add almond butter and vanilla.
- Pour chocolate mixture into oat mixture and stir until well combined.
- Spoon your cookies onto the baking sheets and allow to cool.
- Store cookies in the fridge and snack at will. I think they make a mighty fine pre-breakfast treat! (Note: these also freeze beautifully)
Happy (No) Baking!
* Affiliate link: when you click on this link and make a purchase I earn a small commision, thank you so much for your support!