I had a hilarious dream the other night. I was at a childbirth class at the hospital. The instructor said: "You can only pack two things in your hospital bag, go!" To which I replied without hesitation, "Chapstick and a camera!" I was really proud of myself! And actually when I woke up, I did think that answer wasn't half bad. Of course I plan to bring more than that with me, but in all honesty, if all I managed to grab on the way out the door was chapstick and my camera I know we would be just fine.
Confession time, I hate packing. I could theoretically go into labor at any moment and my hospital bag is very much empty. I thought maybe if I published a list I might actually get around to doing it. (Update: I did at least start packing since I began writing this.) Plus, I find reading these types of lists very helpful.
So here goes, this is what I plan on bringing to the hospital:
- Chapstick, this really is my number one need
- iPhone with headphones, this has my hypnobirthing tracks plus relaxing and upbeat mixes
- DSLR Camera, I know that I will want some good pictures and I can only do so much with my iphone
- Hair ties, for me labor is a bit like going to the gym, I'd never workout without my hair pulled back.
- Recharge (AKA "healthy" Gatorade) and snacks (z-bars, trail mix for Jason)
- Toiletries, including a hair brush (I forgot this one last time and it sucked)
- A smidge of make-up (I might not use it, but sometimes it makes a gal feel human)
- Nursing bra, pads, and nipple cream
- Night gown and lightweight robe
- Baby's going home outfit
- My going home outfit (yoga pants/leggings, tee, and sweatshirt)
- Just in case: my preferred formula* (I don't anticipate needing this but just in case he needs formula I am very picky about it.)
- Car seat, this one you really must have (Jason has had it installed for weeks now!)
What I won't be bringing:
- Anything that will mean extra laundry for me: pillows (my own or a boppy), my own hospital gown, extra undies (gotta love those mesh numbers), baby blankets (okay, I'll bring one for the ride home)
- Diapers, wipes, pads, etc. I intent to use just about anything the hospital provides, you know, to get my money's worth, ha!
- A girdle, I've noticed this on quite a few lists. I just can't imagine strapping everything in immediately after giving birth.
- Stuff for "Dad", he's a big boy, I'm pretty sure he can pack his own bag.
Okay, am I forgetting something? I'd love to know what you consider essential. If you could only pack two things what would they be?
* Affiliate link: When you make a purchase at amazon after clicking this link I make a tiny commission, thanks so much for your support!