Last year, I made Secret Message Valentines that where quite fun, but also a bit large and slightly awkward to gift. This year I refined my idea. These petite versions boast a free printable and the special addition of a "built in" brush. (I must credit Creative with Kids for the brilliant watercolor idea.)
Secret Message Valentine (Mini Edition)
- White cardstock
- White crayon or birthday candle
- Liquid watercolor paint (I used crimson)
- Small paint brushes (these would work well)
- Download Valentine by small + friendly
- Craft knife
- Print out valentines on cardstock, making sure that there is no scaling.
- Cut sheet in half horizontally (at 5 1/2") and half vertically (at 4 1/4").
- Use the white crayon/candle to write your secret message. (Suggested phrases: You are my fav, Let's stay together, I think you're cute, etc.)
- Fill heart with a layer of watercolor paint (you might need to use a brush) and let dry.
- Use a craft knife to cut slits for the brush to slide through. You can place vertical slits on either side of the heart (the brush will slide in horizontally) or horizontal slits on the right or left edge (the brush will slide in vertically). I like the look of the first option but the latter is best if you plan on mailing your valentine.
- Give with love!