The people have spoken and they want to make shark bags, yay! I'm sorry I couldn't get this up sooner, hopefully there is still time to make a little bag for the shark lover in your life.
I have to add a few caveats: When I create it is a bit of whirlwind. I didn't take any process pictures, because I wasn't even sure it was going to work. I have done my best to write clear instructions, but I would not consider this a novice sewing project. If you are stuck on something please take a break from cursing my name and shoot me an email (smallfriendly at yahoo). Okay, here goes ...
Shark Bag Tutorial
- gray and white fabric (I used sweatshirt fleece and terry cloth)
- 1" wide strap material, 2 yards (max) cut in half to make two handles
- 14" or 16" zipper (in gray)
- 2 plastic eyes or buttons
- red and white felt
- Download Shark bag pattern (please note you will need to add seam allowances)
- Download Shark bag pattern and print pattern pieces with no scaling, joining at the lines.
- Add seam allowances and cut according to pattern pieces.
- Sew fins by placing right sides together and sewing along the curved edges. Turn right side out. (The side fins will be gray on top and white on the bottom.)
- Stuff top fin with a little batting and baste it to one side of the top body piece.
- Sew the bottom together by placing right sides together and sewing along the curve.
- Attach the front mouth piece to the bottom piece as indicated on the pattern.
- Sew the top pieces together by placing right sides together and sewing the curved edge from the nose to the first zipper mark and from the back zipper mark aroung the whole back fin.
- Insert the zipper. (Here's one way) Warning: The top fin makes this step annoying.
- Time to sew it together. With the top part inside out (right sides facing, zipper open) insert bottom piece (right side out) so that the straight sides match up. Tuck the straps and fins down into into place (between the layers), pin and sew all the way around.
- Turn out and marvel at your bag! All that's left is the finishing!
- Cut two strips from the white felt and notch one long side of each, these will be your teeth. Attach the teeth to the top and bottom of the mouth.
- Cut an oval (large enough to fill the hole in the mouth) out of red felt. Turn the bag inside out and sew the oval in to close up the mouth.
- Add the eyes.
- Stuff the tail a bit (I used scraps from the fleece).