The people have spoken, and they want their husbands to build the Deluxe Sandbox. Jason is happy to provide the DIY details, but he does not want to be held responsible for adding to anyone's honey-do list. So as long as you promise not to blame him, please keep reading for a full tutorial. You will need basic construction skills and a few power tools, namely a saw and drill. We encourage you to use salvaged lumber, if you can get your hands on it. (Craigslist is a good resource.) We also used this low-VOC sealant which worked great and has held up beautifully. And don't forget the cool sand toys:
Okay, ready? Here's Jason with the step by step:
Notes: The finished box is a little under 4' x 4' closed and 4' x 8' open, you will need a level space of this size. This version will look a tiny bit different than what is pictured, I changed the bracing direction to make it easier. The lid is too heavy for little ones to lift, so be sure there is an adult around to open and close it. Lastly, the lid keeps cats out but not water, during rain/snow a tarp is advisable.
- power drill
- power saw
- sander (optional)
- paint brush
- 8 - 2" x 4" x 8' pieces of wood
- 2 - 2" x 6" x 8' pieces of wood
- 1 piece of plywood (optional for bottom)
- a box of 2 1/2" screws (stainless are ideal)
- 3-4 stainless steel door hinges
- sand paper
- 1 jug/can of wood sealant or exterior paint
- 6-8 bags of beach sand
Instructions for the Base:
- Download Deluxe DIY Sandbox Plans so that the whole thing makes more sense.
- Cut 2"x6"x8' boards into four 44" pieces and cut the plywood (if using) into a 45 1/2" square.
- Screw 2"x6" boards together in a square (see Figure 1) using 2 or 3 screws per side.
- Place plywood square on top and screw down.
- Flip over and set in place.
Instructions for the Deck:
- Cut 2"x4"x8' pieces into sixteen 45 1/2" pieces and save the scraps.
- Place 13 cut pieces side by side on level ground so that they form a 45 1/2" square.
- Place two more pieces across each side side as shown in Figure 2.
- Screw two screws through the cross pieces into each of the 13 deck pieces. See Figure 2.
Instructions for the Handle and Hinges:
- Use two 2"x4" scrap pieces (4"-5" long) and screw down into one end of each brace piece as shown in Figure 3.
- Place your last 45 1/2" long piece on top of the scrap pieces and screw down to form the handle. (See Figure 3)
- Place the deck on the base, as it will sit as the cover. On the edge opposite of the handle, install 3-4 hinges (evenly spaced) as shown in Figure 4.
Instructions for the big finish:
- Make sure you have a nice even spot to open your deck onto before you flip her open.
- Sand and seal the whole thing inside and out.
- When the box is dry, fill it with sand.
- Add toys and toddler: Enjoy!