I love soup, all kinds. Those, such as Ribolitta, that bubble away on the stove for hours, filling your house with glorious smells and the promise of a hearty dinner. And also those that can be thrown together, almost last minute, from a few simple ingredients: fresh, fast, comforting weeknight fare. This recipe certainly falls into the latter category, making it the perfect thing to cook tonight. I call it Drunken Tortellini Soup because I add a healthy splash of red wine, not once, but twice during the cooking. The wine can of course be omitted, if you aren't a fan of alcohol or simply don't want to share it with the soup.
Drunken Tortellini Soup
- 1 onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced or sliced
- 4-6 cups Chicken/vegetable broth (homemade is recommended but low-sodium organic will do)
- 1 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 package fresh cheese tortellini
- 1 big bunch of spinach, swiss chard, or tuscan kale, chopped
- Parmigiano-Reggiano or Pecorino Romano cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Red wine
- Dried oregano
- Dried basil
- Salt and pepper
- In a large pot, lightly brown the onion in a few glugs of olive oil.
- Add the garlic and stir to prevent burning.
- When the garlic is cooked (1-2 minutes) add a good splash of red wine, scraping the pan to lift any brown bits.
- Then add the broth, and a good shake of oregano and basil.
- Crush the tomatoes with your hands and add them along with their juice. Add another good splash of vino.
- Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and simmer for at least 10 minutes (the longer you simmer at this point the better).
- Return the soup to a gentle boil and add the tortellini. Set the timer for the time indicated on the package.
- Two to four minutes before the tortellini is done, add greens. (Earlier if you like your greens more than blanched)
- Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with freshly grated cheese and a nice rustic loaf of bread.
What's on your menu this week? Do you make a lot of soup in the winter or is it just me?