This Valentines Day, why not show the birds a little love? Heart shaped bird seed cookies, sweetly wrapped, make the perfect valentine for grandparents, neighbors, and teachers. It's a simple and fun project everyone will enjoy, especially the birds. Click through for the recipe and free printable.
Quick tip: This is a great activity to do with little ones. My only suggestion is that you also make a batch of these, it's hard for toddlers to understand that the cookies are only for the birds.
Bird Seed Cookies
Adapted from imagine childhood
(Makes six large cookies)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup raisins
1 1/4 cup bird seed
1. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl. The eggs can be added shells and all.
2. Turn mixture onto a piece of parchment and flatten to about 1/2" thick.
3. Use a cookie cutter to create hearts and transfer them to a parchment lined cookie sheet.
4. Use a chop stick to round out a hole for hanging.
5. Bake in a 325 degree oven until hard and golden brown, 20-25 minutes.
6. Once cool, tie a length of natural string through the hole. They are ready to be hung for the birds, or turned into valentines ...
2. Make an envelope by folding and stapling a piece of parchment. Place the bird cookie inside.
3. Staple the valentine to the top and give with love!
The birds will thank you! Even if they are too shy to take the cookie straight from a toddler's hand.